Sunday, May 27, 2018

Different timelines

The other night I caught up with a good friend over coffee... well actually frappes. We had this talk about where we were going in life and how sometimes we feel lost. I could relate to what he was saying because for years I never had time to focus on myself, there were so many chaotic things happening that I lost sight of what I wanted for my future. We compared our lives to other people such as our close friends and how they were successful in their career at a young age. After sulking for quite a bit and feeling down, we both came to the conclusion that it's okay that we haven't achieved what we wanted yet, because we're all living on different timelines.



Even though it's hard to not compare your life to others, it's important to remind yourself that we don't follow the same timeline. Other people may be successful early, and you might be a little slower than others but that's perfectly okay. I realised that we can't judge others based on their successes because what you have might be something they lack. Also, they worked hard for where they are so don't feel sorry for yourself instead see them as inspiration to work harder. I'm guilty of putting myself down and feeling like I'm left behind. I tend to think "I'm trying my best but why haven't I gotten anywhere yet?". I think it all has to do with timing. We experience different things at different times in our lives. What's meant to be in my life will come at a time that I'm ready for it.

There's all this pressure in society to land a good job, be in a relationship, get married, have kids, buy a house and so on. We're constantly bombarded with these ideal lifestyles on social media that we feel pressured to achieve all these things by a certain age. However, I've warmed up to the idea of taking my time and being patient with finding my career. There's only so much I can do and my number one priority this year is myself.

Much love, Jen.

No comments

Post a Comment

© loveikigai
Maira Gall