Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Begin Again

As my first post I thought I'd reflect on some important lessons I've learnt during some difficult times. I've come a long way in understanding the process of being self-aware and the importance of self-love. So here are 10 pieces of advice I wish I had listened to in the past/ still am constantly reminding myself in the present.

1. Heartbreak does not last forever 
I promise you, it might hurt now but it does get better. As cliche as it sounds... it's true. It took me years to learn this lesson and now I can confidently say that I understand why people would tell me this over and over. Just be patient and take your time. Cry it all out if it helps and then pick yourself up again. 

2. Don't settle for less
Whether it be a job, partner or whatever life has to offer, keep searching for something that truly makes you happy. Don't.Settle.For.Less! 

3. Know your worth
If someone makes you feel anything less than you deserve, leave! That is my only advice. Don't look back. Leave. If I could slap my past self  I would but instead I just laugh at how silly I was. It's a good feeling though realising how much I've grown and matured. 

4. Accept that people will leave your life
This is something I am proud of myself for being able to do. I've come to a point in my life where if someone leaves I will not ask them to stay. There's no point in begging for someone to stay, who decided to leave on their own... right?

5. Don't fill your heart with hatred
You will come across people in your life who will hurt you, but at the end of the day don't waste your time feeling bitter or negative towards them. Let the moment pass and move on from it because there are far more better things to fill your heart with.

6. "Being the better person" 
I'm not sure what being the better person means but for me I was always thought it meant forgiving someone that may have hurt you and allowing them back into your life. I've realised you don't always have to be the better person in every situation. It's okay to not want to forgive and you shouldn't have to feel the need to consider other peoples feelings especially if they don't consider yours.

7. Priorities
Always prioritise yourself first. I don't mean that in a selfish, inconsiderate stuck-up way. I mean it in a way where you shouldn't bend over backwards for other people to meet their needs. You have needs too so don't forget about yourself.

8. Care, but not too much
I've always had the problem of caring too much. It's just who I am as a person and it's something I'm trying to learn how to balance. It's great to care about people, but as the famous quote says "not everyone has the same heart as you", so you may end up disappointed.

9. Perfectly imperfect
We make mistakes after all we're only human. No one's perfect so don't try to be. In my case I've said a lot of things I didn't mean and I'm learning to forgive myself. Just always try to have the best intentions at heart.

10. You are enough!
You are more than enough. You do not need someone else's validation to prove your worth!

Much love, Jen.
© loveikigai
Maira Gall